1904 Leon River Bridge in Gatesville Added To National Register of Historic Places
It looked like the old bridge might have to go about a year ago when the Coryell County Commissioners voted to terminate their interlocal agreement with the city of Gatesville to maintain the bridge.
It seems that placing the bridge on the historic registry was one way to ensure it must be maintained and can't be destroyed, though there is an issue with exactly whom is responsible for the upkeep.
Gatesville City Manager Bill Parray told KWTX the bridge recently passed inspection by the Texas Department of Transportation, and that it received a passing grade for safety. The 134-foot-long bridge was built by the George E King Bridge Company of Des Moines Iowa and opened in 1904, according to the historic marker.