Duplex Fire Displaces Harker Heights Family
Five children and an adult were displaced after a duplex fire in Harker Heights Wednesday evening.
Firefighters from Harker Heights and Killeen were called to the home in the 800 block of Harley Drive shortly after 11 p.m. When they arrived, they spotted heavy smoke billowing from one side of a single-story duplex. Crews had the fire under control in under 10 minutes. The blaze was confined to one room, but the entire apartment received heavy smoke damage.
None of the six residents were injured. A Harker Heights fire marshal determined that the fire was caused by an unattended candle and credited working smoke detectors with saving the lives of the family.
Red Cross volunteers are assisting the displaced tenants. Neighbors in the adjacent apartment were able to return to their home after the flames were extinguished.