Nancy and Doug James were visiting Rockport back on June 19 when Doug scraped his knee while wade-fishing and contracted a flesh-eating bacteria.

According to MyHighPlains.com, James contracted Vibriosis, a flesh-eating bacteria that can be found in salt water. It moves through the bloodstream very quickly.

Less than two days after getting the scratch, James was in the hospital fighting for his life.  At one point, the infection caused his heart to stop beating.

Eventually the doctors decided they needed to amputate James' leg below the knee. He has now been taken of ICU and moved to acute long-term care.