Free Citizens Fire Academy in Temple
If you ever dreamed of being a firefighter or just want to get an inside look at what they do, Temple Fire & Rescue’s Second Annual Citizens Fire Academy is for you. The best part – it’s absolutely free!
The 9-week program runs from April 4 to May 30 at the Fire Training Center, 7268 Airport Road. It’s open to people age 18 and older, and all materials are provided by Temple Fire & Rescue.
According to TF&R spokesman Thomas Pechal, highlights of the academy include:
- Fitting of Turnout gear
- CPR training and overview of EMS operations
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and smoke training
- Use of Thermal Imaging Camera
- Ladder Truck Demonstration
- Use of fire streams
- Live firefighting experience
- Hazardous Materials
- Vehicle Extrication
- Fire and Life Safety Awareness
- Emergency Management and Arson Investigation
Thomas, you had me at “Use of Thermal Imaging Camera”.
You’ll also have the opportunity to learn about a paramedic engine company and why fire hydrant top colors vary.
To register, contact Temple Fire & Rescue at (254) 298-5682.