Kaufman County Teen Saves Friends From Cabin Fire
Seven people are alive today because of the heroic quick thinking of an 18-year-old girl.
Jessica Gallegos and six of her friends were partying at a cabin in Kaufman County when a discarded cigarette caused a couch to catch fire. The teens, thinking they’d extinguished the flames, moved the couch to the front porch of the cabin.
Later that night, however, Gallegos was awakened by the heat and sound of a fire. She quickly got her friends out of bed and rushed them through the only exit not blocked by fire – which, ironically, was the porch where the fire had started thanks to the couch reigniting.
According to CBS 11 in Dallas/Fort-Worth, a fire investigator told a parent that the teens would have been trapped inside the flaming cabin had they remained inside for another two minutes.