Temple Family Saved by Carbon Monoxide Detector
Temple firefighters are crediting a well-maintained carbon monoxide detector with alerting a family to a potentially deadly gas leak in their home.
A crew responded to the family's home in South Temple around 7:30 pm Wednesday. When they arrived, the residents informed them that the detector's alarm began sounding about an hour after a gas range stove was used to prepare dinner. Temple F&R equipment detected high levels of carbon monoxide in the home and took steps to ventilate it. They later determined that the levels were caused by a gas leak in the oven.
Temple Fire & Rescue officials want to remind citizens of the following CO2 safety tips:
- Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters (catalytic) indoors. Although these heaters don't have a flame, they burn gas and can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.
- Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.