Valentines Day Facts – The Big Q Tip
It’s here! The fake holiday that promotes gluttony and sex has arrived. Here are some facts you might not have known about.
- According to Hallmark research, 141 million cards will be purchased to say “I Love You”, because when you say it, it doesn’t sound cheesy enough.
- Over 50% of Valentines Day cards are purchased in the six days prior to February 14th. That means people take as much delight in procrastinating about this holiday as they do in indulging in the chocolate hearts. Really what they’re doing is waiting till the last minute to see if something better comes along. The cards should read…”Your still here? Oh well, you win the words I love you! For now.”
- The USA is not the only country celebrating today. Valentines day is alive and well in Canada,Mexico, the U.K., France, Australia, Denmark, Italy, and Japan.
- During the days of Emperor Claudius II, Rome was involved in many bloody campaigns. Claudius, known as Claudius the Cruel, needed to keep his army’s stocked with men, but they were reluctant to leave their wives and families. To stop this sentimental clap trap Claudius banned all marriages and engagements. Holy Roman Priest Valentine defied Claudius and continued to wed young couples in secret. When his actions were discovered he was sentence to death. He was beaten to death and then decapitated around the year 270 A.D. It was said that he left a note to the jailers’ daughter, whom he had befriended before his execution. The note was signed, “From your Valentine”.
- According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, the exact truth of Saint Valentine is unclear. They say there was 3 different Saint Valentines, all of them martyrs, what are the odds?
- Legends vary on how Saint Valentine became associated with lovers. Some say that over time, because of the date of his death, it became mingled with the Feast of Lupercalia, a pagan festival of love. During this celebration, names of young women were placed in a box and then drawn out by the men as chance directed. In 496 A.D. Pope Gelasius I put an end to feast and declared that February 14th be celebrated as St Valentines Day.
The Big Q Tip is to send the rightful gift for this day; a photo-shoped picture of yourself all beaten up, and decapitated. Email it to the love of your life and sign it “From your Valentine”.
Good Luck to all. As inspiration, I give this video.