Big Tex Choice Awards Finalists Named for 2018
It's what people wait for all year. Come to the fair and try these tasty treats.
They broke them down into the categories of Sweet and Savory. On the Sweet side you get the best name of the year. It's Fernie's Orange You Glad We Fried It.
- It's a turnover-style fried pastry filled with a mixture of moist chiffon orange cake, whipped cream and citrusy orange preserves.
The other Sweet finalist include...
- Cotton Candy Taco - A graham cracker waffle cone shell that filled with a marshmallow glaze, chocolate, cane sugar cotton candy and other toppings.
- Arroz Con Leche (Sweet Crispy Rice) - A cinnamon-spiced rice ball deep fried with a crispy puffed rice cereal batter. Served with a side of vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
- Sweet Bakin’ Bacon - A cream-filled sponge cake that is wrapped in bacon and then dipped in a funnel cake batter. It’s deep fried and topped with powdered sugar.
- State Fair Fun-L Cake Ice Cream - It pairs the flavor of funnel cake with ice cream. It’s topped with funnel cake pieces, powdered sugar, whipped cream and strawberry sauce.
For the Savory...
- Deep Fried Shepherd’s Pie - A cheesy, fried potato ball filled with shepherd’s pie filling, served with a side of gravy.
- Deep Fried Skillet Potato Melt in a Boat - A potato skin topped with a deep-fried ball of buttery skillet potatoes, cheeses, griddle breakfast sausage and more. Topped with a sour cream chipotle sauce.
- Fernie’s Hoppin’ John Cake with Jackpot Sauce - A spin on the classic southern New Year's Eve "good luck" dish. It’s fried until crunchy and topped with a black-eyed pea relish and a side of Jackpot Sauce.
- Texas Twang-kie - A savory take on the classic American treat. It has a cornbread cake exterior with a chicken white bean chili filling.
- Texas Fried Hill Country - This combines all the best ingredients from Central Texas. Fried mozzarella and basil sandwiched between two slices of fried green tomato finished with a balsamic and honey drizzle.
The public can pay to attend the The Big Tex Choice Awards on August 26th and sample the finalists before the fair opens on September 28th.
You can get more at bigtex.com.