Texas Man Files Lawsuit Against Blue Bell After Being Diagnosed With Listeria Infection
A Houston man has filed a federal lawsuit against Texas-based Blue Bell Creameries after he developed a listeriosis infection.
According to KXAN, the man, David Phillip Shockley, says he developed a "severe listeriosis infection" after eating ice cream products from the company. Shockley's lawsuit claims that as a result of the infection, his blood had "migrated to his brain where it caused extensive damage, leaving him unconscious and near death."
The court document says medication that Shockley takes for ulcerative colitis left him vulnerable to food contaminated with listeria. The incident apparently happened back in 2013 when he was admitted to the hospital. According to the suit, doctors later diagnosed him with Listeria meningitis.
Recently, it came out that Blue Bell had known about listeria contamination in its facilities since 2013.
The lawsuit claims the source of his infection was one or more of the Blue Bell products he had consumed in the months leading up to his illness.
Shockley is seeking compensation for pain, suffering, emotional distress, loss of enjoyment of life and other damages.
Blue Bell Creameries issued a full recall of all its products in late April after products made in its Brenham, Texas facility were linked to listeria cases in Kansas.