Have you ever wondered where those socks that go missing in the dryer end up? Chances are they were eaten by a Great Dane in Portland, Oregon.

Back in February, the dog's family noticed that he was acting lethargic and upchucking a lot. When they took him to a veterinary clinic, an x-ray revealed a belly full of 43½ socks. The dog underwent surgery to have them removed and is now said to be doing just fine.

This month, the Dane took third prize in Veterinary Practice News' 9th annual "They Ate What?" radiograph contest. First prize went to a frog from Plano, TX who ate 30 ornamental rocks in his habitat, and second prize went to a German shorthaired pointer from Gulf Breeze, FL who ate an entire a shish kabob skewer.

Check out more photos of the winners, plus some of the bizarre runners-up.