Hold on to Your Jockstraps, We Could Have MLB in 2020
I was just starting to think that the possibility of a 2020 MLB season was in the bottom of the 9th inning and we the fans were losing by one. Is this the shot that wins us back our season?
According to ESPN, Major League Baseball is working to get a season together and several plans have been pitched by both the owners and players. However, as of now, there have been no agreements by both parties.
This is what the current proposal would entail:
- The season would be 76-games, plus the post-season.
- Players would earn 75% of their prorated salaries.
- The league wants to end the regular season by September 27th and wants the playoffs to be over by the end of October.
- If a team loses a “top free agent” they would “reap a compensatory draft pick.”
- Those teams who sign a free agent wouldn’t have to give up a draft pick.
MLB insiders are saying that the players don't like this deal either, so it seems unlikely to pass. They have until Wednesday to issue their response.
As a fan, this deal seems legit to me. Of course, I just want to see baseball back in some form or fashion, so any deal would make me happy. The players want their money, the owners want theirs, and we fans just want a season.
Bottom of the 9th, us fans are down by one with a runner on... here's the pitch...