A deadly shooting in Killeen has left one officer dead and another seriously injured.

The Killeen police department received a 911 call at 11:40 p.m. on Saturday, July 13 telling officers there was a man causing a disturbance in the pool area of the Grandon Manor Apartments located in the 1600 block of Grandon Dr.

The caller advised a white male resident came out of his apartment with a weapon and walked to the pool area and threatened the people in the pool; he then walked back into his apartment.

The officers arrived at the complex to find the male inside apartment #6E holding a long rifle in a threatening manner. The Tactical Response Unit was deployed to 1611 Grandon Dr. at 11:56pm.  The tactical officers were attempting to speak with the armed male when he fired one shot.  The male then came to the door with his hands up but failed to come outside, the officers attempted to take the suspect into custody when he backed into his apartment and armed himself with the AK47 and began shooting at the officers.


Two Killeen Police Tactical officers were wounded in the shooting; officers returned fire, killing the suspect.  Both officers were transported by ambulance to the Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center in critical condition.  One officer was stabilized and subsequently transferred to Scott & White Memorial Hospital and underwent surgery.

“It is with a heavy heart that I tell you the second officer succumbed to his injuries,” said Carroll Smith, KPD spokesperson in a statement about the incident. Smith said the officer was pronounced dead at 1:27 a.m.

Smith said Justice of the Peace Garland Potvin has ordered an autopsy to be performed at the Southwest Institute of Forensic Sciences in Dallas.

“Early this morning, this community experienced the loss of one of Killeen’s finest,” said KPD Chief Dennis Baldwin. “The days ahead will be challenging, but for now, we are mourning the loss of a great officer.   Our hearts and prayers go out to the officer’s family during this difficult time”

The names of the officers will not be released at this time and the families have asked for privacy.

Justice Potvin also ordered an autopsy on the suspect to be performed at the Southwest Institute of Forensic Science in Dallas; his name has been withheld pending the notification of his next of kin.¬


This case continues to be investigated and information will be provided as it becomes available.