Extension Cord Cause of Temple House Fire
Fire officials in Temple say an overloaded extension cord caused a fire in the kitchen of a home Wednesday afternoon.
The fire was discovered by the owners of the home in the 500 block of South 21st St. shortly after 3:30 PM. Temple Fire and Rescue dispatched a crew of 18 to the home, where firefighters discovered that the owners had extinguished the fire with a garden hose. No one was injured.
The fire caused an estimated $600 in damage and was confined to the kitchen.
Temple Fire and Rescue spokesman Thomas Pechal released a statement Thursday evening with the following tips:
· Plug microwave ovens or other cooking appliances directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord for a cooking appliance - it can overload the circuit and cause a fire.
· Check electrical cords for cracks, breaks, damage, or overheating. Have a professional repair the appliance or cord as needed, or replace the appliance.
· Stay in the kitchen when cooking. If you leave the kitchen for even a short time, turn off the stove/appliance.
· Install and maintain smoke alarms in every home. Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.