Two Families Displaced after Temple Apartment Fire
Two families were displaced after an apartment fire in Temple Wednesday afternoon, but firefighters credit working fire alarms and a sprinkler system with saving their lives.
Fire units were called to the Pecan Pointe Apartment complex at 463 Westfield Boulevard shortly before 3 p.m. When they arrived, they smelled smoke and heard alarms sounding. After heading upstairs, they saw smoke coming from the closed door of an apartment. The entered the apartment and were met with heavy smoke, but soon located the fire and extinguished it.
An investigation found that the fire was started by a rechargeable battery for a radio controlled airplane. There were no injuries.
The upper floor apartment received heavy smoke damage, and both it and a lower floor apartment were heavily damaged by water from the sprinklers. The apartment's managerial team made housing arrangements for the five adults and four children displaced.